NOW HIRING: Vice President of Impact
Position Title: Vice President of Impact
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Supervisory Responsibilities: This role has supervisory responsibility for 2 or more team members
Location: Major metropolitan area. THF HQ is in San Diego
WHO WE ARE:
The Honor Foundation (THF) provides training, career coaching, networking and job placement assistance for members our military’s Special Operations Forces, enabling them to successfully transition from military service into high-level civilian careers. THF has designed the first Career Transition Institute for the Navy SEAL and US Special Operations Forces (SOF) community. This world-class transition institute offers a 3-month, 120-hour program designed on an executive MBA model. The program provides tailored executive education, one-on-one coaching, and access to a nationwide professional network. The career transition program is inspired by the way Special Operators work in the field. Curriculum focuses on key transitional readiness themes isolated through extensive research and feedback. It reflects the precise knowledge and experience a Special Operator needs to navigate any transition throughout his or her career. Founded in 2014, The Honor Foundation graduates cohorts of approximately 30 Fellows per campus in a variety of locations running concurrently. In 2020 and beyond we will scale our program to ensure all members of the Special Operations Community have the opportunity to transition gracefully. Please visit us at http://www.honor.org for more background information about our unique organization.
We exist to serve others with Honor, for life, so that their next mission is always clear and continues to impact the world.
WHY U.S. SPECIAL OPERATORS?
SOF members are an underutilized asset in the world of business and entrepreneurship; THF’s program allows private sector organizations to effectively deploy this incredible talent pool.
Serve every transitioning service member from the U.S. Special Operations Enterprise (approx. 66,000) through THF Programs & support by 2025.
The VP of Impact will be responsible for achieving The Honor Foundation’s fundraising goals and growing the organization’s major gifts program throughout the United States; with an emphasis on major metropolitan areas. In this capacity, she/he will lead our Impact Team and oversee every aspect of our fundraising efforts. She/he will work closely with our CEO to manage the planning and execution of donor identification, research, cultivation, solicitation, stewardship, as well as corporate and foundation relations, grant solicitations, and events. The VP of Impact will head up the Impact team and supervise the responsibilities of other team members on that team. She/he will also collaborate with other Team members (VP of Programs, VP of People, VP of Operations, and others) in all development and fundraising endeavors. This role requires an energetic, outgoing, well-organized and strategically minded individual who can successfully build and maintain relationships with THF donors, Board and committee members, volunteers and others who contribute to our organizational success. She/he will foster and maintain critical relationships with key local and national organizations and will spend significant time out of the office for cultivation and solicitation meetings nationwide.
Strategic priorities for the new VP of Impact include:
- Building a professional fundraising operation with a national reach.
- Growing THF’s base of individual and major donors.
- Building a strong corporate giving pipeline.
- Increasing grant funding.
- Exploring additional new revenue sources.
The primary focus will be to align impact strategy with THF’s current operational needs and vision for future growth. The VP of Impact is charged with increasing philanthropic revenue for the organization from individual, corporate and institutional funders. She/he will oversee the Impact Team, integrating individual, corporate, and foundation giving through various tactics. The VP of Impact will have a personal portfolio of top donors and prospects and will be expected to solicit and close major gifts. Key responsibilities include:
- Develop and execute an annual fundraising plan to increase revenue and support the strategic direction of The Honor Foundation
- Identify, research, cultivate and solicit a portfolio of donors and prospects in support of a comprehensive major gifts program to include: individual, corporate, foundation, grants, planned and online giving
- Develop systems to ensure that plans are implemented, goals are achieved, timely reports and other stewardship materials are generated, and information is shared
- Monitor all Foundation outreach activities, and in collaboration with appropriate staff, participate in relationship-building, content development, follow-up and reporting
- Work closely with, provide fundraising expertise and leadership to development team members, colleagues, and board members
- Collaborate on the development of proposals and other fundraising and stewardship materials, with a strong willingness to share and advance best practices
- Acquire and maintain a thorough knowledge of THF programs and events
- Oversee the planning, organization and execution of special events
- Support internal team events (graduations, treks, conferences and seminars) to ensure they are optimized to allow for additional development opportunities
- Create and implement innovative strategies for securing new and untapped resources, including in-kind donations
- Work to foster a culture of continuous improvement, ensuring the highest level of internal and external customer service
- Ensure the highest level of service and stewardship to all major funders
- Domestic travel, as required
EDUCATION, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher
- 5+ years of fundraising or sales experience
- Military service, deep military connection and/or experience working with clients in the military community preferred
- Proven record of accomplishment of managing high-capacity donors and closing major gifts
- Proven track record with previous non-profit and the ability to successfully raise funds, deliver presentations, direct mail activities and prepare other foundation donor information requests
- Experience developing and executing on strategies to acquire and close funding and donations to support multimillion-dollar Operations Budget
- Demonstrated ability in high-level strategic planning, project management, and organizational skills
- Superb communication skills (in-person, written communication, phone and email)
- Skilled public speaker and networker: engaging and inspiring
- Passion for THF’s mission
- Expert storyteller who can channel personal connection to THF’s mission
- Excellent interpersonal skills; high degree of emotional intelligence; proven ability to relate well with individuals – both internally and externally
- Projects both entrepreneurial zeal and a growth mindset
- Strong leadership skills to mentor and motivate employees to reach development goals; previous development team oversight and management preferred
- High level of organization, attention to detail, and accuracy
- Strong time management skills; a self-starter, strong at multi-tasking, and able to work both independently and in teams
- Demonstrates strong personal initiative and the ability to drive projects through to completion
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office Suite of product (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook), Google Suite, and database management software – preferably Salesforce
For more information or to apply, please contact:
Name: Sandy Vann, Director of People