NOW HIRING: Senior Director of Development
Job Title: Senior Director of Development
Status: Full Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Supervisor: Chief Executive Officer
Date Prepared: November, 2018
This is an exciting time to join THF, as we expand programs and develop a fourth brick- and-mortar campus to accommodate the needs of a thriving organization. The Senior Director of Development is a critical role, leading our Impact Team and overseeing every aspect of our fundraising efforts. She/he will work closely with our CEO to manage the planning and execution of donor identification, cultivation, solicitation, stewardship, as well as corporate and foundation relations, grant solicitation, and events.
The Senior Director of Development reports to the CEO and retains overall responsibility for achieving The Honor Foundation’s fundraising goals. As such, the position requires an energetic, outgoing, well-organized, and strategically-minded individual who can successfully build and maintain relationships with THF donors, Board and committee members, volunteers, and others who contribute to our organizational success. She/he will foster and maintain critical relationships with key local and national organizations and will spend significant time out of the office for cultivation and solicitation meetings nationwide.
Strategic priorities for the new Senior Director of Development include:
- Building a professional fundraising operation with a national reach.
- Growing THF’s base of individual and major donors.
- Building a strong corporate giving pipeline.
- Increasing grant funding.
- Exploring additional new revenue sources.
PRIMARY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
The primary focus will be to align development strategy with THF’s current operational needs and vision for the future. The Senior Director of Development is charged with maintaining and increasing philanthropic revenue for the organization from individual, corporate and institutional funders. She/he will oversee the Impact Team, integrating individual, corporate, and foundation giving through various tactics. The Senior Director of Development will have a personal portfolio of top donors and prospects and will be expected to solicit and close major gifts. Key responsibilities include:
- Work closely with the CEO to design, plan and execute a comprehensive, annual Impact Plan to include: major gifts, annual giving, planned giving, and corporate sponsorships to increase support from members of the board of directors, key contributors, and other critical benefactors nationally to broaden the base of support for THF.
- Plan and execute a moves management approach to individual and institutional giving.
- Oversee the planning, organization and execution of special events.
- Support internal team events (graduations, treks, conferences and seminars) to ensure they are optimized to allow for additional development opportunities.
- Seek, develop and track grant proposals.
- Work with staff members, the Board of Directors, and other stakeholders to proactively enhance, expand, and execute development efforts, building current and new relationships.
- Create and implement innovative strategies for securing new and untapped resources, including in-kind donations.
- Coach, mentor, develop and manage THF’s Impact Team members.
- Supervise the appropriate use of donor software and reporting, ensuring donor privacy, data accuracy and timeliness of acknowledgements and reporting.
- Establish policies, systems, and procedures, with a special emphasis on professionalism and ethical standards, for soliciting, acknowledging, tracking, and reporting gifts.
- Develop solicitations/support materials.
- Oversee design and production of donor recognition and appreciation communications.
- Work to foster a culture of continuous improvement, ensuring the highest level of internal and external customer service.
- Ensure the highest level of service and stewardship to all major funders.
EDUCATION, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher
- Military service and/or experience working with clients in the military community preferred.
- 5+ years of development or sales experience, including endowment campaigns and major gifts.
- Experience developing and managing budgets over $2M.
- Expert storyteller who can channel personal connection to The Honor Foundation’s mission.
- Superb communication skills (in-person, written communication, phone and email).
- Skilled public speaker and networker.
- Proficient with technology and adept at switching to/integrating new systems and platforms.
- Projects both entrepreneurial zeal and a growth mindset.
- Strong leadership skills to mentor and motivate employees to reach development goals; previous development team oversight and management preferred.
- High level of organization, attention to detail, and accuracy.
- Strong time management skills; a self-starter, strong at multi-tasking, and able to work both independently and in teams.
- Exceptional writing and proofreading skills; ability to communicate clearly and effectively with a wide variety of audiences through various mediums (verbal, print, online).
- Demonstrates strong personal initiative and the ability to drive projects through to completion.
- Poised and professional in all scenarios.
- Experience using SaaS productivity and collaboration tools, Google Suite (Docs, Sheets, Slides).
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook. Working knowledge of other software, including design software and database management software (Raiser’s Edge or Salesforce.com) preferred.
For more information or to apply, please contact:
Trevor Blair, Principal, Blair Search Partners
550 West B Street, 4th floor, San Diego, CA 92101